This professional is in active search of jobsengineering Freelancer
I am Vera, a fun-loving and energetic 27-year-old ex-advertising professional who hopes to make a career switch to the aspiring role of an early childhood educator. Over my years of living with my toddler-aged niece and nephew, and having served in the Children’s Ministry in church, I have discovered an innate care for a child’s heart, growth, and development. Therefore, I believe that by training to become an educator, I can turn my interest and passion for a child’s development into something greater, concrete, and tangible.
I aim to gain deep understanding and clear perspectives in elementary or early childhood education by being an educator. In the future, I aspire to run an organization that empowers underprivileged children in developing countries; one where confidence, unique strengths and incredible minds will be developed. The mission is to make quality education accessible to every child, regardless of culture or stature. By personally exploring pedagogies and stimulating classroom environments or educational activities, my expertise would allow me to make well-informed classroom and business decisions in the future.
I have currently applied to pursue a Diploma in Early Childhood Care & Education, tentatively starting in October 2021. By May 2022, I would have completed 2 part-time Julia Gabriel courses, namely ‘A Child’s World’ and the ‘Julia Gabriel Foundation Speech & Drama Teaching Certificate’.
My history of studying both locally and abroad has made me familiar with local and international contexts in school and outside, and I can easily adapt and interact with diverse groups of people in various languages, including English, Mandarin, Hokkien (Chinese dialect) and even Bahasa Indonesia. My fondest childhood memories of education started out in an International School in Penang where I first picked up English, played the tornado in a Wizard of Oz school play, dressed up as an Egyptian Princess, made pom poms and forgot my cheerleading choreography. Moving to Singapore, I was a Girls’ Brigade member throughout my years at government schools and I completed both PSLE and ‘O’ Levels here. My final 5 years of formal education in England placed me in some of the most international environments and has contributed to my confidence in engaging others.
While I was serving at the Children’s Ministry at church, I enjoyed helping with the preparation of materials, space setup and check-ins/outs for the children under my care. My favourite activities were storytelling through acting and assisting small group activities or discussions. I have found that the most rewarding experiences when interacting with children is when my patience and care reaches the hearts of these innocent children and turns a teacher-student relationship into something that could last a lifetime. I strongly believe in allowing a child to open up in their own timing, focusing on building trust and respect, and developing confidence within them through the process first. In doing so, I ensure that the child’s development is prioritized and that their welfare is never compromised.
In my previous job at a Social Media agency, I was appointed the account lead for Merries, a retail brand championing baby products, for my enthusiasm for children was well-established. My favourite experience was a video shoot with 4 toddlers for a New Year’s themed advert. My client-facing account management role required detailed research and planning from the conceptualization to execution stages. There is a handful of transferrable skills that I believe would make me a great collaborator, fast learner and leader as the situation requires in a classroom context. I would be glad to speak in greater detail about my career achievements and to better understand my suitability as a Teacher Assistant at your preschool.
Royal Holloway, University of London | Surrey, United Kingdom | 2012 - 2015
Bachelor of Science Economics and Management
Upper Second-Class Honours
Cambridge Tutors College | Greater London, United Kingdom | 2011 - 2012
Math, Statistics, Economics, Accounting
Queensway Secondary School | Singapore | 2007 - 2010
L1R4 = 15
L1R5 = 20
English Language = B3
Radin Mas Primary School | Singapore | 2003 - 2006
Aggregate score = 220
English (A) Mathematics (A) Chinese (A) Science (B)
St Christopher's International Primary School | Penang, Malaysia | 1997 - 2001
Nursery to Lower Primary
World Vision | Marketing Volunteer | Oct 2020 - Jan 2021
World Vision is a global non-profit organisation whose mission is to empower children and tranform communities in the poorest places, through a child-focussed and holistic approach. I worked remotely to support the marketing team in promoting the regional Youth For Change Conference (YFCC). The yearly conference aims to educate, hone and empower rallied local youths to become ready future social innovators.
• Developed short-to-medium-term social media strategy and new content pillars.
• Contributed to 1 social media marketing calendar.
• Proofread and edited conference digital booklet.
• Developed Instagram Stories content ideas and educational talking points for event coverage.
• YFCC's welcome pack: thematic idea of stickers set and content of introduction cards.
Duo Studio | Social Media Senior Account Executive | Apr 2019 - May 2020
• Clientele: Merries, Hmlet, PARKROYAL Collection, Poh Heng Jewellery, Tampines 1, Century Square.
• Grew PARKROYAL Collection’s new Facebook and Instagram accounts by 400 and 530 followers respectively within 1 fiscal quarter.
• Spearheaded with strategist to lay and build the foundation for PARKROYAL Collection’s feed with new content pillars that strongly communicated brand USPs, tying appeal and relevance.
• Monitored live ads and optimised investment by adjusting budget allocations to different platforms.
• PARKROYAL Collection’s 2nd traffic ad performance soared by 15% after applying my insights and data-driven recommendations.
• Led 3 brand collaboration campaigns successfully through strategic integration of online with offline marketing. High process efficiency was attributed to my detailed planning for operations, execution and coordination with multiple project owners - also equipped my team with clearly communicated backup plans, hence eliminated downtime for shoots and live event coverages.
• Exceeded Tampines 1’s annual engagement rate KPI, attributed to 6 viral content and deepened understanding of audience.
• Made work plans and structured processes to smoothly manage mentee and onboard new team members.
• Guided an intern on learning Facebook and Instagram ads. Her strong grasp accelerated her conversion to full-time executive.
• Assisted on ad-hoc projects for American Express and Megrhythm.
Duo Studio | Social Media Account Executive | Mar 2018 - Apr 2019
• Clientele: Tampines 1, White Sands, Tiong Bahru Plaza, Mamonde.
• Developed marketing calendars for always-on content and campaigns, including research, co-strategy, copywriting, co-ideation, execution.
• Leveraged Asana management tools to coordinate project details with stakeholders.
• Managed 2-3 separate brand campaigns at a time without missing a deadline.
• Monthly performance reports, analyzing of data to identify key insights and recommendations, to enhance effectiveness of content strategy, communication or workflow processes.
• Monitored and managed live ad performance to drive results: average cost-per-result for engagement ads sustained at ideal range $0.001 - $1.
• Under two weeks, I captured the early news of iSTEAK's new branch opening and immediately seized the opportunity to publish a viral, newsworthy video content for Tampines 1 - over 1,000 shares, interactions and comments on Facebook. My clear understanding of SOP and precision in the initiation-to-execution stages led to the effective, timely delivery of content idea, shoot logistics, ad strategy.
• Event tickets sold out through driving virality and hype for 6 separate AsiaMalls campaigns; including a month-long Cartoon Network collaboration for We Bare Bears #Tampines1xWBB.
The Events Network | Event Operations Executive | Mar 2017 - Oct 2017
• Clientele: Fuji Xerox, Prudential, Yotel, Hewlett Packard, Changi Airport Group.
• Developed and managed event budget sheets to provide effective consultation and proposal of alternative solutions.
• Achieved objectives of events within budget, space and time constraints.
• Designed day-of-event timeline to optimise efficient workflow for all stakeholders.
• My recommended solutions to logistic limitations and unforeseen circumstances continually allowed for healthy net profit margins.
• Assisted manager with running HP's overseas D&D event operations in Taiwan; crowd control, part-time staff management, vendor liaison, stage management (key speakers, performers such as singer Richard Marx).
• Within a short notice, I planned and smoothly executed a Prudential South African themed activation event. Ensured solutions carried South African elements. Negotiated with Djembe drummers and authentic South African food vendor to optimise logistics planning and maintained healthy profit margin.
• For Yotel's first Asian opening launch event, I reached out to multiple brands with collaborative ideas and secured up to 5 partnerships in the form of sponsorships. They include FarEastFlora.com, Bottles & Bottles and Glamping City. Accompanied by various fringe activities and performances, we successfully achieved event concept.
• Supported ad-hoc project for Japan Tobacco International (JTI).
Reserv | Business Development Intern | Mar 2016 - Sep 2016
• Supported both Sales and Developer teams at the Technology Startup's launch stages.
• Managed sales pipeline with Agile CRM.
• Proposed new web and app features, and subsequently worked collaboratively with Developer team to launch them.
• Assigned detailed tickets to JIRA sprints and managed task priorities to ensure Sales and Developer teams are aligned with updates, feedback, and deadlines.
• Performed structured bug testing daily and managed incoming bug reports from Sales team.